Potato Farm Technician - Norfolk
Vacancy Ref: 14433 KM
A Technical role that will report into our Sales Team helping them in their day-to-day responsibilities regarding production specification & quality to our customers.
The role will include but not be limited to monitoring crop production, sampling, QC checks and data analysis ensuring all outgoing loads are within customer specifications.
The role will involve work in all areas of the potato business which will include production sites (fields), storage areas, grading and packing facilities. This will also include a requirement for monitoring outside growers under the same customer guidelines.
You will work closely with the sales, farm and factory teams to implement KPI's to help maintain sales, promote growth and development of the company brand.
As the role develops there may be an opportunity to include other crops.
Key Job Responsibilities:
TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE (Potatoes) - (Training in House)
Have a FULL understanding of:
• All current CUSTOMER PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS
• All CROP PRODUCTION PROCESSES (All Areas)
• VARIETAL CHARACTERISTICS
• SOIL TYPES (Land base), STORAGE, GRADING & PACKING FACILITIES
• CROP DEFECTS and their CAUSES
• CROP CALENDAR & MONITORING TIMELINE
• RGA CROP TRIALS
• CHECKS & MONITORING REQUIRED
• Current & future INDUSTRY CHALLENGES
• Any additional items that affect product quality
PRODUCTION MONITORING -
Responsible for Monitoring KEY AREAS:
• SEED / CHITITNG
• TIMING OF CROP DEFOLIATION
• POST CROP DEFOLIATION / PRE HARVEST
• HARVESTING & HANDLING DAMAGE
• QC OUTGOING LOADS / INTO STORE
3. SAMPLING -
• BURN OFF DIGS - (Carry out crop digs on a daily basis at peak times to evaluate timing to defoliate to meet customer specifications, yield expectations, business requirements)
• OUTSIDE GROWER SAMPLES
• CUSTOMER SAMPLES
• REJECTED LOAD SAMPLES
4. QUALITY CONTROL CHECKS -
• QUALITY CONTROL CHECKS - (Post burn off on a weekly basis, daily harvesting / out loading, daily into store) (Includes Outside Growers)
• QUARANTINE - For Rejected loads
• STORAGE WASHUP (Fortnightly)
5. DATA ANALYSIS
• FEEDBACK to Sales & Production team on findings
• Monitoring KPI's
• Evaluate historic data to produce CROP GROWTH MODEL
• TRENDS (e.g. Varietal, Soil Type etc)
• Evaluate TRIALS RESULTS
• Produce an ACTION PLAN for the following year.
At busy times there will be the need to Manage other members of staff in sample collection and QC analysis.
COMMUNICATION will be KEY to this role involving the Sales & Production teams.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract, Permanent.
Salary: £24,000.00-£30,000.00 per year
How to apply:
Please send your CV and cover letter to; Kate Moxon, Recruitment Manager.
We thank all applicants who apply for this role. However, please be advised that only those short listed for an interview will be contacted. Please be assured that your job application will be managed in complete confidence and your personal details will not be passed to any third party without your prior permission. Agricultural and Farming Jobs are an established specialist Agricultural Recruitment business with offices based in rural Worcestershire. We have a specialist and dedicated Headhunting Recruitment Division as well as a specialist Jobs Advertising Division. We recruit specifically for all roles within the Agricultural industry and support the recruitment needs of all related clients including; Farms, Agricultural Machinery, Fresh Produce, Food, Horticultural, Equestrian, Finance and Veterinary companies on an International basis. We offer an exceptional service with a personable, yet highly professional approach